With the raw material of stingray, you can freely process it into many different dishes such as: Hotpot with stingray leaves in Giang leaves, hotpot with stingray with banana, steamed stingray with onion fat, stingray braised with turmeric… In which, the dish is delicious. My favorite is the sour bamboo shoots hotpot. However, in order for the dish to be rich and delicious, you must first know how to prepare the stingray without being fishy.
How to prepare stingray without being declared
If you do not know how to prepare stingray, it will directly affect the quality of your dish. Therefore, the first thing you must choose is fresh stingrays, absolutely do not buy dead fish or weak swimmers because old fish have lost their appetite. Next, you bring back to clean the two sides of the fish gills. In the abdomen of the stingray, there is a milky white membrane running along the spine of the fish, covering both sides of the abdominal wall. You use a sharp knife to cut along this membrane, you will see bruised veins and black gills running on both sides of the spine. This is the part that creates the smell, so you need to clean it by using a knife or hand to remove all the bruises and scrape off the black film.
Besides, the stingray skin is very viscous, you need to scrape this slime off so that the stingray hotpot is not bitter and fishy. You can use salt to rub the body of the fish and then rinse it with water, or blanch the fish in boiling water with a little vinegar added. As for the fish intestines, you should not keep but completely remove the fish intestines. Then, wash and cut the stingray into bite-sized pieces.
Stingray hot pot ingredients
- 1 stingray about 1kg
- 500g sour bamboo shoots
- Lemongrass tree
- Vegetables for hotpot
- Fish sauce, seasoning, sugar, chili
How to make sour bamboo shoots stingray hot pot
Step 1: Marinate fish with spices
After slicing the fish into small pieces, put the fish in a bowl and marinate the fish with 2 tablespoons of fish sauce, ½ teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of seasoning and a little monosodium glutamate. Next, use chopsticks to stir well and marinate the fish for about 20 minutes for the fish to absorb the seasoning.
Step 2: Prepare the remaining ingredients
– Pickled bamboo shoots you bring to boil briefly, then rinse with cold water, then tear the bamboo shoots into bite-sized pieces and drain.
– You put tamarind in it and soak it with a little warm water, then use a spoon to spread it, then filter out the tamarind carcass and get the juice.
– Lemongrass crushed, chopped.
– Peeled garlic, minced.
Step 3: Cook hot pot
– You put the pot on the stove, add cooking oil, when the oil is hot, add minced lemongrass and garlic and saute. Next, you add the sour bamboo shoots and sauté for about 5 minutes. Next, you put the filtered tamarind juice and the right amount of water into the pot. When the hot pot is boiling, add the stingray cartilage to cook together to sweeten the water. Season with spices including 3 tablespoons of fish sauce, 2 tablespoons of sugar so that the hot pot has a sweet and sour taste.
Step 4: Done
That’s it, now you just need to drop the marinated stingray in, along with chili, non-aromatic garlic lemongrass and a few stalks of coriander and you can enjoy it.
For sour bamboo shoots stingray hotpot, you can choose the accompanying vegetables depending on your preferences. Can be used with sour hot pot such as: bananas, water spinach, vegetables, braised cilantro… And don’t forget to prepare a cup of dipping sauce with delicious fish sauce and a few slices of salty and spicy chili peppers that will enhance the flavor. Great for hot pot.
With the way to prepare stingray and how to make sour bamboo shoots hotpot as above, hope you can show off your talents to bring delicious hot pot for the whole family! Good luck.