As a traditional dish, the recipe for Bun Thang Hanoi is always kept a secret. Each family has its own cooking method and most people only pass it on to their descendants. However, today with the development and linkage of cuisine, people have not hesitated to show how to prepare this dish to the world, contributing to introduce Vietnamese cuisine to international friends.
How to make Bun Thang according to Hanoi standards
Ingredients for preparing Bun Thang
– 2 duck eggs
– 100 grams of sausage
– 500 grams of pork bone
– 1.5 kg of small noodles
– 100 grams of dried shrimp, 2-3 dried squid beards (or sa worms)
– 200 grams of black tiger shrimp
– Green onions, laksa leaves, dried onions and grilled ginger, shiitake mushrooms, dried radishes.
– Shrimp paste, spices, fish sauce, a little rock sugar, vinegar, white sugar.
How to cook Bun Thang
Step 1: Prepare ingredients
– Chicken is left whole and washed with salt water
– Pork bones are put in a blanched pot with boiling water, then taken out and washed with cold water to remove bone fragments.
– Dried shrimp is washed and dried, squid beard is also washed and cooked.
– Shiitake mushrooms are washed and cut into two or kept whole and cut the flowers for a beautiful look.
– Black tiger shrimp cleaned, boiled, peeled and minced.
– Peeled dried onions, minced finely, kept 1 tuber, peeled and then grilled.
– Finely chopped scallions, laksa leaves, washed and dried.
Step 2: Steps to cook Bun Thang
– Put the chicken in a pot and boil, when the water boils, add a little spice and grilled onions, fragrant grilled ginger, lower the heat so that the chicken is cooked inside. When the chicken is cooked, take out the chicken, pour it over cold water until the chicken is crispy and chewy, and proceed to shred the meat and skin, leaving the bones in the pot to stew for fresh water.
– Marinate pork bones and a little seasoning and stir-fry to absorb. Then, you put the blanched pork bones into the pot of chicken broth and continue to simmer until the bones are soft and extract the juice. Continue to dry shrimp, squid beard, washed shiitake mushrooms, a little rock sugar and simmer for 2-3 hours. When the pork bones are soft, take them out and put them in a separate bowl and remove the chicken bones, seasoning the broth to taste. In the way to cook bun thang, the broth is extremely important, you need to pay attention to this step!
– Duck eggs are broken into a bowl and beaten, put a layer of oil just enough to smooth the pan and then pour the eggs into the frying pan. Stir well until the eggs are thin and even. And you let the eggs cool down before you cut them long.
– Bring the chopped shrimp and then star it with cooking oil and fish sauce for aroma to make shrimp paste. Spring rolls cut yarn.
– You bring the radish soaked with warm water to bloom, rinse with boiled water to cool, then mix with vinegar and sugar for 30 minutes. This is the ingredient that creates the typical flavor of Hanoi’s famous bun thang.
– By this step, you are almost done with your dish. Now is the art of presenting food so beautifully and attractively. This can be called the stage of raising the value of the dish.
When enjoying, blanch the noodles and pork bones with boiling water. Then, place the noodles in a bowl and arrange the ingredients in a circle in turn. In the middle sprinkle some scallions and finely chopped laksa leaves. Finally, add broth, and you’ve got a delicious Hanoi-standard dish.
Bun thang is a dish that represents a part of Hanoi people. They are fussy, they are meticulous, they are delicate and careful like how to prepare this dish. With this traditional recipe, hopefully, you can be successful the first time you make it.